Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Gimped Peanut

I think I deserve the worst mother of the year award today. In fact, I think I'll just reward myself with it right now! Done. Why do I deserve it? I took my eyes and attention off my daughter for a matter of seconds and turned just in time to see her reaching over the first stair and tumbling down all seven of them!

She cried for a few minutes and after I got her calmed down I moved all the extremities for discomfort and nothing. So I figured everything was okay. There was no loss of consciousness and no major injuries (besides my self esteem) so I went back to getting things ready for dinner. We had some friends over and had a great time. After dinner, we got Peanut down to join the bubble fun and she walked a few steps and started crying. She was totally favoring the right leg and would barely walk. She wanted to so bad but would just start crying. We talked it over and decided to watch her and see how she was doing in the morning cause maybe it was just a sprain or bruised bone or something. Well at midnight she woke up just screaming and we couldn't really calm her down. After I finally got through to Wee Care she was sleeping but not soundly. The nurse convinced me to just take her into the ER "just in case."
So after about 5 hours in the ER
We have our little gimped Peanut
They couldn't see any fractures in the X-rays but they say that there can still be something that's not showing up and from his examination the Dr believes she has what they call a "Toddler Fracture." He said they're fairly common and that the immunosuppression drug she's taking already predisposes her to easy bone injuries. So she got a pre-cast splint which we will take off in about 4 days and if she's still in pain then they'll probably put a cast on.

So, in the end, we have a mother who feels absolutely horrible and a little girl who's back to wanting to go places but having a hard time getting there! :(

12 comments:

Mom Mitchell said...

Now mommy don't be blaming yourself. Accidents happen -- it happens to the best of moms. That little Peanut is an amazing child. She's a tuff one! And WOW! I can't believe how fast she's changing, crawling, walking, etc. I feel like I'm missing out :-( Would love to be closer and see you all more often.
Hugs and Kisses for all of you!

lydia said...

Oh NO! Poor Peanut, Poor Makayle!

You're so NOT a bad mom. Bad moms don't feed their kids or change their diapers and leave them home alone. Normal moms have moments just like yours. Do I need to list mine off? She'll learn to respect the stairs, and eventually master them. Try not to beat yourself up, use up that energy giving her lots of extra love and attention.

We had a great time last night! Code Greene made Mike an official offer (but you probably know that, as he and Luke are on the phone right now.) :D

Unknown said...

that is sad but that is how we deal with the toddlers they are bumbling around learning to walk and they will fall - we just have to make sure they dont get in the real dangerous situations (keep them away from hot things, streets, vehicles) that will really hurt them. Little booboo's and sprains and strains and even breaks/fractures are just normal stuff. You rock as parents with all you have been through.

Russell said...

Oh no! Poor little Peanut. She was just exploring and found out what happens with no assistance down those tall seven stairs.

Your not a bad mommy. Bumps and bruises happen, even with parents around. With nurse mommy, Peanut will be back to full crawling speed in no time.

Lacey said...

Oh...that is so sad for Peanut...but don't take it out on yourself. We all have major "mommy award" moments and they are called accidents. They happen. Don't be hard on yourself.

You sure have a cute little girl. And looks like you have had some fun things going on lately.

Boopsie said...

Awww...Don't worry about it. If she doesn't see the pictures, she'll never even remember it. Besides, look at the pictures, does it really look like she thinks you're the worst mother in the world???

C & E said...

So sad but I know that it could happen to anyone. She is getting so big I can't believe it! Thx for the congrats, we're super excited!

felicia said...

She's sure a cute "gimped peanut". Don't be so hard on yourself...kids will always explore and always have accidents! can't wait to meet her:)

Hayden and Kelly said...

I know you feel totally responsible but seriously girl... not your fault! You are such an amazing mother!!! She's just on the go!! Poor little bug! We miss you guys! The family pics are ADORABLE! wow, she is getting so big and so beautiful! We are just so happy for you!

::dallas:: said...

poor little girl!! she sure is cute!!

we had to change our blog address...
here is the new one,
justdaybyday.blogspot.com

Marci said...

Oh my stars! What a crazy little girl - average just like mine. Eliza just got her cast off her arm. and I too went through that stage of feeling like a terrible mother. Um...until I realized that I couldn't watch her every second of the day, and that maybe the experience was for my good in a lot of ways. Best of luck; keep us updated!

Lori said...

Oh no! so sad for her. But you are so not a bad mom! Marlee fell out of a shopping cart last week, so i sorta know what your feeling. She sure is cute though in that huge cast. Bet it hardly slows her down :)

 
Clicky Web Analytics